How to Keep the "engine" Running After 65
Just because you’re a senior doesn’t mean you have to give up an active sex life. But let’s face it; things down there don’t work as they once did when you were 18. A reported 150 million men suffer from erectile dysfunction. But thanks to modern medicine and nutrition there are several ways to help keep you in the game no matter what your age.
Male erectile dysfunction is a very sensitive issue for a man at any age. There are so many societal issues men have to deal with in terms of sexual dysfunction. Being able to perform sexually is tied to a person’s manhood and masculinity, which is why only about 10%-15% of men seek outside treatment.
Seniors over the age of 65 should know that erectile dysfunction is not something they have to except at their age. Many seniors can have an active sex life with or without treatment. The percentage of seniors regularly engaging in sexual activity has grown tremendously over the last 15 years due to erectile medication that has allowed seniors to engage in intercourse.
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by several physical and psychological factors including:
• Drugs – Illegal and prescription
• Diseases such as Diabetes, MS, Parkinson’s
There are several ways to combat erectile dysfunction including:
• Nutrition – Many times erectile dysfunction can be caused from several years of poor diet and inactivity. The male penis responds to a good diet and exercise similar to other muscles in the body. Eating a diet high in fat and low in nutrients will affect erectile ability and orgasm. To get maximum results exercise 30-45 minutes 3-5 times per week or as prescribed by a doctor. Your diet should consist of at least 64 ounces of water, 5-6 small nutritious meals with plenty of fruit, vegetables, and fiber. Many men have found their erections were more frequent, firmer and that orgasm was stronger.
• Exercise – Performing cardiovascular exercises 3-5 times per week about 30-45 minutes each session brings a lot of vitality to the body. The heart becomes stringer and blood flow improves, which can held increase erections. Exercise will also help with psychological reasons of erectile dysfunction such as low self esteem and depression by making you feel better about yourself. Stress can also play a significant role in sexual health. Exercising is proven to relieve stress and rid the body of toxic chemicals known to cause depression. It also releases endorphins in the body which can increase sexual libido.
• Sleep – Sleep deprivation causes a litany of health issues, one of them being erectile issues. A lack of sleep leads to a breakdown of the body’s systems. Simply put, the body cannot function properly without a good night’s rest. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep per night to be performing at your best.
• Prescription drugs – This is the most common form of treatment for erectile dysfunction. There are four oral prescription drugs approved by the FDA to fight erectile dysfunction. These drugs have allowed millions of men to have an active sex life well into their late stages of life. The four drugs are Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, and Staxyn. All of these drugs work in a similar fashion by increasing blood flow directly to the penis causing an erection.
Levitra and Viagra take approximately 30 minutes to work and they last up to 5 hours. Cialis is the strongest drug and takes effect in approximately 15 minutes. The results can last an astonishing 36 hours. That does not mean you will have an erection for 36 hours, but your penis will be able to perform upon request for that length of time. Cialis is great for those times when sex happens spontaneously.
If you are on alpha-blockers for blood pressure or nitroglycerin can experience dangerous side effects such as low blood pressure. Also, people who are scheduled for medical or dental surgery should consult with their doctor about potential side effects. If you’ve experienced a stroke, heart attack, or prostate problems you will want to discuss this before taking any ED meds.
• Alternative remedies – Alternatives such as Enzyte and Extenze claim to be natural remedies that produce harder and longer lasting erections. Enzyte and Extenze have not been evaluated by the FDA and have produced varying results. Both supplements contain ingredients like Korean ginseng, Yohimbe extract, Horny goat weed and ginger.
• Surgery – Surgery is often the last step of treatment because of the potential danger and invasive nature. Erectile dysfunction surgery can place a device in the penis that causes an erection, rebuild the arteries to increase blood flow to the penile chambers, or block off veins that cause blood to flow away from the penis during an erection.
• Erectile devices – Erectile devices, commonly referred to as penis pumps are placed on the penis causing a vacuum suction that increases blood flow to the penis. Many companies claim you can experience penile growth, which is up for debate. The pumps do increase blood flow and can be helpful with impotence issues.
Many men over the age of 65 suffer from impotence. Studies suggest that half of the male population 65 and above have or have experienced erectile dysfunction. The treatment options above have proven very effective. The reason the number continues to be so high is that many do not seek help because of the embarrassment it can bring. If you’re experiencing impotence you don’t have to accept it as part of growing old. Talking to your doctor about it can relieve a large burned and make you aware you are just one of millions of men who have the same solvable problem.